Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Very productive day. . .

Today, I am very proud of myself. I did not sit and helicopter over Little Man while he was doing his homeschool work (much to his chagrin).  I stayed in the kitchen.  What did I do in the kitchen? Well, I canned 7 1/2 quarts of tomato puree from our harvest last season, made a huge pot of chicken and sausage gumbo, and made Gil a pecan pie he asked for at Christmas time. With all the cookies and candies, who had time for pie?

Tomatoes in January??? you ask. Yes, during the summer when we have tomatoes coming out of our ears and we just can't eat 'em all, I core and freeze 'em.  It's too hot to heat up my kitchen to can.  Then, when it is cold outside and the added heat from the stove is welcomed, I defrost the tomatoes (now a bag of tomato water and mushy, deflated tomatoes).  When they are still a little icy, I peel 'em.  The skins just fall right off! I currently have enough salsa for Gil til the summer. I think.  That man eats some salsa!  So today, I simply stewed and pureed them for spaghetti sauce, veggie beef soup, and whatever else I need sauce for.  I hope I never have to buy another can of tomatoes or sauce EVER.  I would love to move more toward self-sufficiency.  Is this a resolution for 2012?  We'll see then, I guess. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment