Saturday, February 26, 2011

I got it bad. . .

Cabin fever that is. This winter has really had a toll on my well-being.  The last time I was a SAHM, Chuck went to public school.  I kept the kitchen clean, clothes washed, dinner on the stove and (sometimes) could even get it done before carpool AND have a snack waiting for him when he got home. As they say, "that was then, THIS is now."
Now, my day looks a little more like this:
Get up and sometimes dressed (usually in my pj's),
Get Chuck (aka Little Man, aka Bug, aka Knucklehead, or aka whatever else I may happen to call him at the time!~He's always had about 15 nicknames used interchangeably at my discression.)  Most family calls him Bug. Anyway, getting back to my routine: get Chuck up, ready (teeth, face, etc.) and fed,
Tell him once again WHY he can't start watching TV before school,
Reinforce that IF he work quickly he can be done before "Wild Kratts" comes on PBS at 4PM.
Tell him I love him,
Remind him to always do his best and I'll be satisfied.

Then the fun part starts:  MATH. I love Math. I don't get people who don't like it.  Chuck is good at it. So, why must he make it a painstakingly loooong process? It may take him 45 minutes to do 1 page, but if I call the same number of problems out to him--5 minutes max.  I don't get it.  If he knows the answers, why doesn't he just  write them down. I don't have to supervise every problem completed or do I? I'm new to homeschooling, but I really had this idea that I could teach the information, do a few review problems with him and could leave it with him to complete while I, heaven forbid, fold a load of laundry.  This does not seem to be the case.  I need to know that this is just first year anxiety on his part and he will not grow needing constant supervision.  I know adults like that and it is not flattering.
Anyway this process continues through every subject until about 5PM nightly.  It's too much for this mama to do everyday.  When Gil comes home, we stop.  Gil works too hard to be subjected to the nag of "Come on son, you know this!!", etc.

This school year has left me in a heap: a heap of dirty clothes, dishes, and thrown together at the last minute meals. I also have a bad case of the "can't"s, can't sleep, can't remember, can't think.

Here's what I CAN do, as the VBS song so eloquently put it, "I will cast my cares on the Lord, because He cares for me. I will trust in God no matter what. Cause I know He will never stop caring for me."

2 comments:

  1. Hugs mama, I know the feeling. "Do your work!!" is not an uncommon thing to hear being yelled across this house on a daily basis!

    I'm going to bring you a book called "They way they Learn." Knowing how their little brains absorb information really helps to find a method that works for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! I love having "cyberfriends" that I can rant to-it's even better when those are the same friends irl that are there to support me. . .even in my moments of psychosis! lol

    ReplyDelete